Rejuvenate and Write!

Once each year a small group of writers and authors come together for a day of retreat and rejuvenation. Of course, I am one of those authors who impatiently awaits this day.

This year's Writing to Inspire mini-conference consisted of just 3 writing sessions led by authors, Roseanna M. White, Carrie Fancett Pagels, and myself (Rachel D. Muller) with author Rita Gerlach as our facilitator. To our delight, this year's conference grew in number, selling out all seats. We knew God was planning to do great things by this one-day writer's retreat. 

And great things did come! Roseanna taught the rules of writing and when it's okay to break them. Everyone has questions when it comes to grammatical writing and dialogue. When we should intrude as author and when to let our story speak for itself. In her session, she cleared up many of those inconsistencies between English 101 and authorship. 

With a Ph.D. in Psychology, Carrie Fancett Pagels taught the art of interviewing our characters as a psychologist. What's happening in our character's lives? What can we learn by looking at them? By listening to them? And distinguishing when we make an assumption about them. Two great sessions, led by two great authors!

Lastly, my session dealt with the issue of Independent Publishing. With so many writers exploring the possibility of indie publishing I felt it was necessary to answer many of the questions these newbies have. I explained the reasons behind authors turning indie and the circumstances that bring them to it. We also looked at the publishing process from the indie's point of view and all the factors that come into play with independent publishing. In addition to my session, I've written a comprehensive companion guide to accompany my workshop lesson. It's called THE WRITER'S 411: A Guide to Independent Publishing. The booklet is only available through me or through my speaking sessions.

To sum up our one-day writing retreat, I believe that much prayer made the success of this day. All agreed this was the best workshop to date and the growing number of attendees seems to confirm that. I also think the addition of a free boxed lunch whetted the appetite and made the day less hassle for attendees to worry about lunches and how to keep them cold. 

Now that W2I 2017 has passed I know preparations for 2018 are underway. With the success of this year, I think we have a better understanding of what to expect for the next.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit-Chat Tuesday: Now That the Honeymoon Is Over . . . A Valentine's Day Tradition

Chit-Chat Tuesday: An Honest Message to Single Women

Book Review Friday: Sarah Sundin, A Distant Melody