Rae's Reviews Movie Edition: The Greatest Showman

This post just couldn't wait. In fact, I could hardly contain myself to even fathom waiting until today to post it. This past weekend my husband and I had a long overdue date night. I'd been wanting to see this movie but hadn't had the chance yet, so when my in-laws offered to watch the kids . . . well, you know . . .
We are frequent movie-goers, and we've seen good movies, great movies, and movies that have disappointed. Other than classic, vintage musicals (i.e. Seven Brides For Seven Brothers) we're not big fans of modern musicals. And we are not fans of "R" ratings, perversions, burlesque, erotica, and other movies of those sort. So when we find a "good" movie that's fun for the family to watch we are fans that follow through. And this is where I'll begin my review of...

THE GREATEST SHOWMAN

Up until I saw this movie I had not even heard any of the compositions from it (except for what was shown on the movie trailers)--and I have to say I sure am glad I waited for the theater experience! Why? The opening scene starts off strong with intense beats and perfectly timed rests that allows the anticipation of what is coming to sink in. I literally held my breath for the next frame. Once that first beat struck I was mesmerized. If you can handle that opening song, well, you can bet the rest of the movie has much to measure up to--and it does!

The stage is perfectly set by showing viewers the life P. T. Barnum was raised in. This is significant in understanding the man he becomes later in the movie. However, the director did a fantastic job of not placing too much focus on small details and drawing out the young life of Phineas Taylor Barnum.

Barnum quickly learns his life calling through the life he lives with his wife and girls. Again, the director tastefully sidesteps the small details and cuts to the chase--Barnum is bound to become a world-renowned success. 
The scenes are intermingled with alluring and beautifully written music that shows the ups and downs of circus life, showbiz, and life in high society, New York. One of my favorite quotes from the movie comes from the newspaper show critic, " . . . another critic may have even called it a celebration of humanity," which tactfully expresses the place in society Barnum gave to his side-show performers. 

The movie even brings a great deal of Barnum history to the silver screen, including the tragic fire that set him under and nearly killed his show for good. 

The movie ends just as strong (if not stronger) than it started, leaving me to agree that I'd just seen the 
"Greatest Show On Earth."

My husband and I nearly danced out of the theater--that was our response to the fantastic musical compositions of Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (to whom I give a standing ovation). They didn't miss a beat on this one. And yes, we did purchase the WHOLE soundtrack album once we got home! 
What's more interesting is to know all vocals were done by the actors themselves. If you weren't a fan of Hugh Jackman, you may be after seeing this show; and if you were already a fan, well, you'll love him more.

I couldn't keep my thoughts on this movie to myself. To wrap up my whole review in one simple sentence, I wrote this on my Facebook timeline:

"I just watched the re-birth of musicals."

If there's still time, and if your theater is still playing it, I highly suggest seeing this movie for the first time on the big screen. And if you have to wait for Blue-Ray, no worries--just turn up the volume as loud as you can stand it, sing, dance, and enjoy! 

If you've seen the movie, what was your favorite scene or song?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit-Chat Tuesday: Now That the Honeymoon Is Over . . . A Valentine's Day Tradition

Chit-Chat Tuesday: An Honest Message to Single Women

Book Review Friday: Sarah Sundin, A Distant Melody